I believe selling is the prerequisite to success. So did my mentor, Zig Ziglar.
Because everything is selling—everything. Nothing ever gets done anywhere until somebody sells something.
Whatever you ate for breakfast started the journey to your table when someone sold something. You probably won’t make any money this week unless someone sells something and makes money.
Selling is what makes the world work and what drives the economy. You may have a great product or service, but until it gets sold, nothing happens.
Think of Martin Luther King Jr. He had a dream of racial equality. Many people had the same dream, but King sold that dream to America on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial—and he changed everything.
Selling ideas, products, services—or even yourself—is what makes everything else possible. I’ve built my entire career on it.
My Sales Mentor Zig Ziglar
I’ve empowered entrepreneurs for more than 30 years, as an original shark from the hit TV show Shark Tank and by helping launch more than 500 products generating more than $5 billion in global sales.
And as I reflected on my success, I realized that it all came down to selling.
As I dug deeper, I traced the roots of my success to becoming a protege of the great Zig Ziglar, and mastering his sales secrets.
I also uncovered a few of my own along the way, but Mr. Ziglar was the Master of Sales Masters.
His timeless secrets inspired thousands of millionaires. His book Secrets of Closing the Sale sold over a million copies and is known worldwide as “the sales bible.”
He touched more than 250 million people during his forty years of truly innovative sales success.
I could never have had the success I’ve had, if not for the sales secrets I learned from Zig Ziglar.
That’s why I am partnered with Zig to create the Secrets of Closing the Sale Masterclass.
I sharing vintage video of Zig that isn’t available anywhere else and reveal the secrets I’ve learned to more than 100X your success.
Selling Is Everything
I don’t care who you are or what you do, you sell. Everyone does.
- You may be selling who you are on your resume.
- You may be selling your team on your vision.
- You may be selling a message to the world that you’re passionate about.
- You may be selling a product or service the world really needs.
- You might even be selling your parents on letting you stay up late, or your spouse on taking your family on a vacation.
Nothing ever gets accomplished until somebody sells something.
There’s a reason more than half of the Forbes billionaire list started out as salespeople. The number of today’s leaders who’ve succeeded by selling is high: Richard Branson, Warren Buffet, Bill Gates, Bethany Frankle, Sarah Blakely, Jeff Bezos—the list goes on.
Selling is what makes the world work and what drives the economy.
Unfortunately, some people get the wrong idea about selling. They buy into negative stereotypes about sales, or think of a shady con artist trying to manipulate someone into doing something.
But that’s not what selling is at all.
Selling is about giving value and helping people find solutions to problems, so they can live more fulfilling lives.
In short, selling is serving. Zig Ziglar always emphasized this truth. It’s true today and always will be.
How You Serve When you Sell
Here are just a few ways you can serve other people when you sell:
- Put them first. It’s a people-first mindset that unlocks sales success. Some people think of “sharks” as ruthless predators, but that’s not how I do business. I know how to innovate, disrupt the marketplace, orchestrate a killer investment deal, and grow a business. But my people-first perspective is at the heart of everything I do. I intentionally seek win-win relationships and solutions.
- Improve their lives. Improve lives of other people by sharing how your product or service will improve their quality of life. Always be thinking of how your product or service will be serving other people. As Zig Ziglar famously said, “You can have everything in life you want, if you will just help enough other people get what they want.”
- Be authentic. Authenticity is a huge piece of success in sales. You may get short-term sales through deception, but long-term, over-the-top success happens when you don’t fake it. Be real. Authenticity is especially important to Millennials who are tired of unrealistic claims by just about everybody. Be authentic by showing how you are focused on serving people by meeting their needs.
- Create win-win situations. I intentionally only do business deals where we create win-win situations. I know I can only truly succeed when I first deliver value to other people.
“You can have everything in life you want, if you will just help enough other people get what they want.” —Zig Ziglar
Implementing this simple, four-step framework will start to shift the way you think about selling and help you begin to realize how it is absolutely critical to the success of your idea, product, or service.
Whether you’re an entrepreneur needing to get some capital or traction in the marketplace, a salesperson selling a product or service, or even a parent selling your child on eating their vegetables, you can set yourself up for success by seeing selling differently.
Remember, everything is selling—and selling is serving other people.
Ready to 100X Your Sales?
I go deep with Zig Ziglar to support you and take your sales success OVER THE TOP!